[Hidden-tech] $400 "notebooks"?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Jun 29 11:23:47 EDT 2010

Cynthia Roderick wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who has responded... I have lots of truly helpful
> information to consider....
> What a great resource you all are....

I won't dive into all the preferences for various netbook/mac/pc/ipad
options, you seem to have those aplenty.

However, since you are traveling to a third world country, I thought I
would toss in something else. I heard or saw this recently, and I wasn't
able to track down my original source. The google search turns out to be
a difficult one. However, I did find this site that seems similar and
may be the same:

http://www.packforapurpose.org/

While there are many sites that talk about how to pack for yourself, the
point here is that you are traveling from a rich country to a poor
country, and you have a luggage weight allowance beyond your own needs.
So, pack something that is needed there. This site is filled with
information about different countries and their needs and how to get
amounts that you can carry delivered to where it will be useful.

You can shop locally to help small businesses and deliver globally to
help those in need.

It can be something incredibly simple. The power of the idea is in large
numbers of people doing it.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-