[Hidden-tech] audio recording software for Mac

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Jun 11 17:00:05 EDT 2010

Tom Adams- Reelife Productions wrote:
> You could use a video camera and extract the audio in "post".
> Otherwise if you have an iPhone, Blue has a great free app that
> records great audio or buy their $47 "mikey" and it works even better/
> stereo.
>
> Depends what hardware device you have too...
>
> Regards,
>

> On Jun 11, 2010, at 2:42 PM, fern <radiodjfern at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a client who wants me to record his wedding ceremony.
>> any suggestions on inexpensive audio recording software for Mac?
>>
>> Fern

When my daughter and I were visiting my 91 year old mother in Denver
earlier this year, my daughter wanted to record stories my mother was
telling about growing up in China (she can still recite Chinese nursery
rhymes). We went out to a Best Buy and chose a Sony digital voice
recorder. I don't remember how much we spent on it, but I was looking
for the recorder with the best quality and compatibility with the Mac.
These have better quality than what you can get with various other
options, because they are focused on this functionality. They have noise
reduction, great clarity, lots of control, etc. and are about the size
of an iPod Nano. Then, just plug it in to your Mac and have the
recordings in whatever app you want. My daughter just put it in iTunes.
I haven't messed with sound for a long time, but there have got to be
lots of possibilities on the Mac, both free and commercial.

It might have been this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Digital+Voice+Recorder/9733694.p?id=1218162980465&skuId=9733694

I should say that my daughter has been very happy with it and has used
it a fair bit since that trip.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-