[Hidden-tech] Router that allows bandwidth shaping

Cheryl Handsaker charlemontwebworks at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 17:15:17 EDT 2010

Since I am still unable to figure out the problem that sporadically occurs with our Verizon DSL modem and our two high quality but older routers (with updated firmware), we've been running a new but really cheap router we had in the closet that limits our ability to login to configure basic settings. We've decided to  purchase a new and more sophisticated router that will also allow me to push my daughter's online video streaming and my son's online gaming to a lower priority than those of us actually using the bandwidth to make a living (with only the occasional visit to xkcd).

Does anyone have recommendations for other router features that would be useful to two computer professionals with two teenagers and limited bandwidth? Any recommendations for specific routers? Any cost / benefit suggestions?

  Charlemont Web Works
  Web Application Development, Web Maintenance and Joomla! sites