[Hidden-tech] Virgin Mobile 3G modems?

Cheryl Handsaker charlemontwebworks at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 18:01:55 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I've been looking at the Virgin Mobil pay-as-you go 3G plans. I typically only need this functionality in the summer months when I tend to work a lot on the road (no cell service at home and library hours are shrinking all over!). I have been sharing a Verizon modem and plan with my spouse since February and the speed and availability of the service has been excellent from California to the Cape but changes in our work patterns have meant sharing isn't working as well as it did in the spring.

What can I expect with Sprint/ Virgin Mobile?  $99 modem and pay as you go with a month of service costing the same and has the same bandwidth limits as our Verizon plan at $60 for 5GB with smaller amounts available for less - and no over limit charges. The price is right but I have not been very happy with the service since VM was bought by Sprint.

Has anyone tried this in the Valley? Outside the Valley? Do you truly get what is promised?

Thanks in advance for any information.

-Cheryl Handsaker