[Hidden-tech] questions about digital video cameras

Craig Sinclair synchlayer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 20:23:11 EST 2010

Hi Stephanie, Adam, et al

At ACTV we currently use Mini DV tapes but are looking to transition
to a tapeless system for a variety of reasons, but principally the
time saving when capturing footage; which happens in real time in
Final Cut Pro.

SD cards are becoming an industry standard, though you definitely want
to buy higher quality ones to ensure you get the best performance and
most longevity. As with tapes the cheap ones have the built in cost of
letting one down all too often.

We currently use external backup drives by nNovia (http://www.nnovia.com/products.php?categories_id=25
) and Focus (http://www.videonics.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=150) in
case of tape failure. This would still be possible, even with SD
cards, but this adds to up front costs and even if they do mount on
the camera they add extra bulk, and perhaps batteries, and heck
sometimes they fail too.

Adam - if you're in Amherst, Leverett, Pelham or Shutesbury our next
Final Cut Pro training is coming up: Tues Feb 2nd & Thurs Feb 4th 6:15
to 8:45 each night. It only costs $25, with a year's Membership only
an extra $10.

Then you’ll be able to edit at ACTV with free onsite support and a
dedicated external hard drive for your work.

Alternatively look into the community media/ public access center
wherever you are. Northampton, Montague and Greenfield probably all
offer similar courses to help you learn to edit and film, and many
stations have higher end cameras for filming too; a membership might
save you a lot of money and let you see what kind of camera you might
want to ultimately buy.

Cheers

Craig

Craig Sinclair