[Hidden-tech] introvert discussion invitation

Val Nelson val at valnelson.com
Thu Jan 7 14:13:56 EST 2010

Hi HT folks,

I had a large and wonderful off-list response to this email I sent last
Sunday to HT, and wanted to thank the introverts in the HT community for
jumping in.

Here's a synopsis of what unfolded:

I ended up having two gatherings yesterday in my Northampton office where
people shared their introvert challenges and successes in their work lives.

Some people I told about the meeting thought it was funny that introverts
would want to attend a meeting, but introverted doesn't mean quiet.

In fact, we had quite the flow and laughter going at the meetings. So much
so that I think I'll have to host this again soon. I think I hear tribal
drums starting up.

2 hot themes that emerged:

1) Networking events can be nightmares for introverts unless you find the
secrets to making it more fun without having to put on a mask.

2) There's a strong negative connotation of being introverted in Western
culture. But it's only a stereotype and we have plenty to offer, and plenty
of advantages too!

One of the attendees mentioned the biological brain differences between
extroverts and introverts which was very interesting. Wikipedia has a good
description of  the types and biological differences:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion

Also, for more on introvert advantages, check out the book "The Introvert
Advantage":
http://www.amazon.com/Introvert-Advantage-Thrive-Extrovert-World/dp/0761123695

If you want to stay in touch about this topic, let me know.

Thanks
Val

_____________________________________
*Val Nelson*
*
****Coach/Consultant *
Helping Introverts and Entrepreneurs Make Their Mark on the World

413.320.2182
val at valnelson.com
 Northampton, MA

Website & Blog: www.valnelson.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/valnelson
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/valnelson
Facebook: www.facebook.com/valnelson

Office: Fitzwilly's Building, 25 Main St., Suite 339A, Northampton, MA (not
a mailing address)