[Hidden-tech] extending apple airport extreme network

Tom Adams ~ Reelife Productions & Folktography tomadams at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 22:01:48 EST 2010

but wait there's more..
I've pasted the answer to my question (from apple help):
=======

You can set up multiple AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express Base Stations as
a Wireless Distribution System (WDS) to extend the range of your AirPort
wireless network. When you connect base stations wirelessly in a WDS, you
set up each base stations as a main base station, a remote base station, or
a relay base station.

NOTE: If you’re extending the range of an 802.11n wireless network, click
the link below for simplified instructions.
Extending the range of an 802.11n
network<help:anchor='ap11953'%20bookID='AirPort%20Utility%20Help'>

A main base station is connected to the Internet and shares its connection
with remote and relay base stations. A remote base station simply shares the
main base station’s Internet connection. A relay base station shares the
main base station’s Internet connection and transfers the connection to
other remote base stations.

All three base station configurations (main, remote, and relay) can also
share the main base station’s Internet connection with client computers
wirelessly, or through an Ethernet connection if the client computers are
connected to the base station by Ethernet.

When you set up base stations in a WDS, you need to know the AirPort ID of
each base station. The AirPort ID, also known as the Media Access Controller
(MAC) address, is printed on the label on the bottom of the AirPort Extreme
Base Station next to the AirPort symbol, and on the power adapter side of
the AirPort Express Base Station. To make it easier to set up a WDS, place
all of the base stations on a table and plug them into a power supply.

To begin setting up a WDS, open AirPort Utility, select your wireless
device, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu. Enter the
password if necessary. Click AirPort in the toolbar, and then click
Wireless.

AirPort Utility is located in the Utilities folder in the Applications
folder on a computer using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort
on a computer using Windows.
On the Wireless pane:
[image: Step 1]

Choose "Participate in a WDS network" from the Wireless Mode pop-up menu.
[image: Step 2]

Click WDS.
[image: Step 3]

Do one of the following:
■

If you’re setting up a WDS main base station, click the Add (+) button and
enter the AirPort ID or the Wireless MAC address for the WDS remote base
stations.
■

If you’re setting up a remote base station, enter the AirPort ID or the
Wireless MAC address of the WDS main base station.
■

If you’re setting up a relay base station, enter the AirPort ID or wireless
MAC address of the WDS main base station, and then click Add (+) to enter
the AirPort IDs or wireless MAC addresses of the WDS remote base stations.
[image: Step 4]

Use the same network name and password for all of the base stations in the
WDS.

By default, the “Allow wireless clients” checkbox is selected. If you
deselect the “Allow wireless clients on this base station” checkbox and
later want to change the settings on the base station, you must connect to
the base station’s LAN port with an Ethernet cable. You won’t be able to
connect to the base station wirelessly without reconfiguring your base
station.

--

Regards,

Tom Adams