[Hidden-tech] Donations request - Laptops to Zambia

Will Loving will at dedicationtechnologies.com
Wed Feb 10 11:04:09 EST 2010

The short version:

I¹m looking for Mac (preferred) or Windows laptop donations for a small
shipment to Zambia. Machines must be in good working order. Minimum for Mac:
G4 Powerbook or G4 iBook with USB. Minimum for Win: P4 equivalent, Win XP
and USB.

The longer version:

As some of you know, I¹ve been involved over the last several years with
assisting an organization in Zambia ­ New Vision for Africa - to bring
working computers to schools and NGOs there. So far we¹ve obtained and
shipped 8 cargo containers of computers (approx 400+ per container) which
have now been distributed. We¹ve done this with support from UNICEF, Ernst &
Young and individual donors. This support has funded the roughly $9,000
shipping cost per container as well as storage and processing facilities,
transportation in-country and teacher training.

Funding for shipping containers has been very sparse recently but an
interested party has offered to pay the FedEx cost of shipping a box of
laptops, which are in particular need because of their portability and low
power needs. They are of particular help to NVFA staff for training and
management. NVFA prefers Macs but will happily accept any donation.

I have several donated laptops here in my office but would like to maximize
this opportunity by shipping as many as possibly up to the weight limit of
one box. If you have a fully functional Macintosh or Windows laptop that you
would like to donate please contact me off list. If you have a laptop that
is function except for a dead battery, write me with the specs on the
machine and consider purchasing a new battery to donate as well. Your no
longer needed laptop will find a good home in beautiful Zambia and be very
much appreciated.

New Vision for Africa is a US 501(c)(3) non-profit and is an officially
government recognized charitable organization in Zambia. If you would like a
tax deduction receipt for your donation, please request it.

An outdated slideshow showing the first two containers shipped to Zambia can
be seen at: http://newvisionforafrica.org  More recent shipments have
included much newer computers.

Will

Will Loving, President