[Hidden-tech] Wordpress Newbie Question

Mark Firehammer Mark at techeffective.net
Fri Apr 9 17:13:27 EDT 2010

You shouldn't have to start over.
the "blog." part of the install location represents a subdomain, and domain
pointers are used to create those. Your server control panel probably gives
you full control of those.
The WordPress installation itself, is no doubt installed in a folder, or in
the root position of your Web server.
To verify that, look for the following three folders.
wp-admin
wp-content
wp-includes
These are the first level folders of a wordpress install.

If they are in the root position of your server, meaning not in a another
folder,  that's where your blog is installed.
If they're inside a folder that's where your blog is installed.

And the subdomain pointer is simply directing traffic to that blog
installation. Here's an example

The Web Server root position would be:  (no sub folders is the web root)
/
The WordPress installation folder if it's not in the root position could be:
/Blog/

The subdomain pointer in your domain control panel accomplishes this:

The content meant to found any traffic addressed here:
http://blog.yourdomain.com <http://blog.yourdomain.com/>
Can be found on the server here:
/blog/

Email, in most cases, has nothing to do with subdomains.

That's it!

  <http://techeffective.net/booknow.htm>
Mark Firehammer
413 303 0315