[Hidden-tech] determining the value of Domain names

Jordan Lee Wagner support at trupod.com
Fri Apr 2 19:17:51 EDT 2010

This otherwise good article errs badly when it suggests that appraisals
are worthess just because each domain name is unique. Paintings are
unique, business brands are unique, and most non-new residential real
estate is unique; yet appraisal by examining comps remains valid for
them as well as for domains.   As always, expertise is needed to
determine what renders two domains comparable, and how to adjust for
their differences and for market changes over time.

If you're marketing it to an end-user (a business that expects to own it
as long as they are in business; like the buyer of a painting who
expects to die owning it).  generally you need to consider how much
money a commercial venture can make by virtue of owning the domain,
compared to what they can do without it but with some other name.  But
in domainer-to-domainer sales, which make the liquid "market", look at
several factors, mainly comps and traffic.

If you're accepting it as collateral, look at what names of the same
extension (or weaker) with similar keywords in same industry have sold
for.  If you are lending against rugs.com you surely know its worth at
least as much as what PersianRugs.com sold for, and more than what
rugs.co.uk and rugs.us have sold for.  And looking at domaining industry
trends, you know its worth less than what rugs.com sold for three years
ago.

And it's probably worth nearly exactly the same as ANY other four-letter
product-name dot-com that gets the same number of monthly exact searches
in google, and that is a generic product of similar popularity in an
industry the same size, competitiveness, and profitability as flooring,
and that has the same percentage of OCI (online commercial intent) by
those typing that product into google, and that has the same amount of
type-in and AdWords bidding levels as the word "rugs".

If these five domains are truly high value, then they are already either
developed or parked, and if parked should be generating a healthy
income.  That income stream should be examined by the banker.

A decent appraiser would consider of all the above.

There are some internet-based lenders who specialize in lending against
domain portfolios.  If your friend isn't comfy with it, its probably not
wise to accept a lot of exposure to this market. (There are also
domainer-to-domainer auction venues where domain pros will make offers
beforehand that you can either accept, or use as the basis for an
auction, or do nothing.   This might be a way to establish a "floor"
value at very little cost.  Or simply ask for informal vauations at any
of the three big domainer-to-domainer forums)

Some professional appraisals of high value names come with good
marketing advice and even prospects lists.

HOWEVER:  Most domainers are delusional, imagining that their worthless
stuff is the next hotel.com; so your banker might turn out to be the
resented bringer of bad news.

Jordan Lee Wagner
Trupod Internet Services
domains at trupod.com