[Hidden-tech] AT&T Wireless service quality

J. Cohen ht at westernmasswebdesign.com
Thu Oct 8 13:37:15 EDT 2009

Stefan Gonick wrote:
> I'm considering switching to AT&T Wireless specifically to get the iPhone.
> However, I've heard some disturbing things about their service. In particular,
> I have a friend who says that she can have her voicemails delayed significantly
> (hours or even a day). That would be unacceptable to me if it's a regular
> occurrence.
>
> What has your experience been with AT&T Wireless service in general
> and the voicemail situation in particular?

I used a Blackberry Bold on AT&T for 9 months before transferring my
contract to someone else. It was the worst experience I've had with any
company. I don't have time to write the whole story at the moment, but
here are a few things:

* AT&T said the phone plan came with things that it didn't actually come
with.

* AT&T would say one thing on the phone about their overseas data plans,
then when I would call back they would say "we have no record anyone
told you that" -- I couldn't get a bogus $120 extra fee dropped until I
called up their cancellation department. My supposed "world phone" was
not usable overseas because there is essentially a $120 charge every
time you cancel your 1-month overseas data plan, and when I asked to
upgrade to the unlimited overseas data plan that I was told about when I
bought the phone, they told me I wasn't eligible for it for some reason.
 I'm sure that their $120 cancellation fee scam is illegal.

* AT&T dropped my calls constantly -- almost every call.  I called them
up and they said they would fix it but they never did.

The iPhone looks great, but I would never get another phone on AT&T.

Josh