[Hidden-tech] what's the good-bad-ugly on home offfice powerline networks?

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed Nov 11 17:20:12 EST 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 at 13:48, Robert Heller wrote:
> I have a pair of Netgear "85Mbps Wall-Plugged Ethernet Switch" model
> XE104. Sold as a pair.  Bought them at BestBuy in the Hampshire Mall.

I have a pair of those, too.  I think I remember reading in the manual
that there's a way to put in an encryption key, but I haven't bothered
since all the traffic whose security I care about goes over ssh or
ssl anyway.  I also have not measured throughput, and while I do have a
"high speed" (read: cable) connection, my actual bandwidth needs are
relatively modest.  I can tell you that Youtube videos play fine, and
that my telnet sessions are as snappy as the Internet connection allows
(which is generally pretty darn snappy...I remember the days of telnet
sessions over overcommitted 56K leased lines...), but that's about all
I can tell you as far as bandwidth and latency goes.

--David