[Hidden-tech] Digital speech recorder recommendations wanted

Duane Dale duane.dale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 13:36:42 EST 2009

Here's an offbeat possibility:

A pocket videocamera with an external microphone jack.
Example: Kodak Zi8   (HD video + stereo audio, ~$180)

I haven't seen one, so I can't say how many of your specs it would fulfill.
It would probably have the hassle of transforming video files into an
audio-only format.
(And the question of what to do with all the video footage of pocket lint in
the dark.
File them with my cell phone's photos of similar subject matter?)

But if it were reasonably satisfactory for the audio function, it would
obviously offer the video option when useful.

(A selection criteria? ... Reduce gadget proliferation by opting for
multi-functionality.)

-- Duane Dale