[Hidden-tech] video conversion software

Michael Billingsley michaelb at sover.net
Sun Nov 1 16:46:59 EST 2009

Hi Folks -

Have you fussed endlessly with Internet video clips, hoping to get
them to run smoothly on your computer... or more importantly, wanted
to convert those (or your own) for use on your website or to be
downloadable to media-player cellphones?

I've been experimenting for a while for video conversion and
compression software beyond the usual QuickTime, Adobe and wmv.
formats, especially as I eventually want "value-added" downloads to
increase - after people notice that I'll provide video that is
compatible with cellphone play.

The most versatile viewer/converter (sort of like the
GraphicConverter of video) is a French programme that is multi-
platform.  It takes up very little space, runs on Windows, Mac, Linux
and other platforms - converts to all the needed formats that... from
the Web... will convert clips to play on most common cell phones, and
includes all kinds of tweeking add-ons for trimming clips, changing
video and audio levels, etc.

The software is VLC (VideoLanConverter) and owes its creation to a
ton of people.

For a full capabilities and compatibilities list, as well as download
portals and mirrors for Windows and Macs (Intel and PPC, v. 5 and 4.)
etc. see - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.php?cat=input    This
works pretty well on earlier Macs, too, ie. my 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook
laptop, as it maximizes processing without overloading the CPU too much.

---

Are you taking advantage of RealPlayer Downloader?

Especially if you've been tempted to do some downloading from the
Internet for teaching or demonstration (ie. from Atom Films, or as
clips ie. trailers as played on distributor's or reviewer's websites)
remember that RealPlayer's latest versions include a RealPlayer
Downloader... which you can set to auto-downloader to a "holding bin"
every clip that you watch on your browser.  Just move it to your
"Startup Items" of your Mac through your System Preference pane.

When, at the end of the day, you review those accumulating clips and
you click "Download" - the temporarily cached version automatically
gets moved to the RealPlayer Download folder on your hard drive.  On
the other hand, if you don't click download, or clear the list, all
those clips are wiped from cache and don't burden your temp storage
any longer.

Each clip is stored, by your choice, as either a RealPlayer,
QuickTime, Adobe Media Player, or VLC clip.  I choose VLC because its
codec, smoothing, loss-less play of HD movies, and low overload on
the processor are all admirable.  I can do full-screen play through
VLC that are impossible through RealPlayer or Adobe Media Player.

There may be better full-spectrum video play/compress/conversion
tools out there, but I haven't run into any yet.

Enjoy

Michael Cerulli Billingsley
Location Recording - CD Mastering - Audio FX/Solutions
office 802-254-3975 studio 802-254-2504
C104 The Cotton Mill, Brattleboro, VT 05301