[Hidden-tech] Uninterruptable Power Supply

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Thu May 7 12:40:01 EDT 2009

I would second the previous recommendation for APC as a brand. You can
get them at Staples or just about any of the brick and mortar or online
stores that sell computer gear.

When you say it doesn't work anymore, and reference a spike and
thunderstorms, that doesn't sound like you are talking about a battery
issue. The battery would be an issue if you unplugged it from the wall
and your computer lost power. Cheaper UPS's don't provide very much
beyond that kind of protection.

APC has more of a home variety line called BackUPS. They have more of a
business/IT quality line called SmartUPS. If you really want protection
against spikes, you want the SmartUPS, and they cost a bit more. They
can be worth the price in terms of saving you trouble and hassle.
Technically, the BackUPS with their protection policy would pay for your
equipment if it is damaged, but the hassle would be way more trouble
than it is worth in my opinion. Think of your lost time getting the
equipment replaced, recovering your data, etc. -- I would just buy a
SmartUPS.

As an example, we had some really nasty, sustained over voltages fired
into our building a couple of summers ago due to a contractor error.
Equipment that people had behind a BackUPS was fried right along with
the UPS. They all had to be replaced. The equipment we had behind
SmartUPS's was undamaged, and the SmartUPS's themselves went through an
emergency shut down when they weren't able to regulate the sustained
over voltage. None of the SmartUPS's were damaged, and none of the
equipment behind them was damaged.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator