[Hidden-tech] cell phone and laptop in Thailand

James Triplett jm-hiddentech at vj8.net
Sat Jun 20 16:23:46 EDT 2009

On (17/06/09 12:13), Reva Reck wrote:
> Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:13:29 -0400
> From: Reva Reck <reva at revareck.com>
> To: Hidden Tech <Hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net>
> Subject: [Hidden-tech] cell phone and laptop in Thailand
>
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> I'm going to Thailand and need to be able to stay connected with my laptop
> and a cell phone (mine or rented). Does anyone have any experience with
> Thailand specifically? Will I need any kind of power supply converter for
> my chargers? Does it make sense to rent a cell rather than use my own? I
> know my cell will work internationally, I just don't have a sense of
> relative costs.

I travel to Thailand frequently.  The voltage is 220V, but they use American-style
outlets.  Thus if your laptop has a 90-220V power supply, as most do- you can
just plug it in.  I never bother carrying adaptors or transformers.

The cellphone system in Thailand is GSM, so you can use GSM phones from here,
but the roaming charges will be ridiculous ($3-4 minute sending or receiving calls).
For the price of an hours conversation, you can buy a cheap phone when you get
there (stores are all over), and buy a prepaid SIM card for it.  You'll then
have a local Thai number, which is handy for getting around town, and receiving
calls from people in the States.

An alternative that is useful in many countries (once you have the right phone),
is a special international SIM card, such as offered by Telestial:
	http://www.telestial.com
This comes with a US phone number- especially convenient for your friends back home.

good luck