[Hidden-tech] Restaurant websites built using Adobe Flash?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:01:58 EST 2009

Jason Turcotte wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the question was posed as to why many website are done
> in Flash, not "let's bash Flash websites".
>
> It seems this thread has already gone off-topic?  Blair simply stated
> his case and opinion (in a professional manner, IMO) , which is what
> the original question was about. Now, he's being criticized for that?
> Come on people, be reasonable.
>
> Tom stated this was a waste of his time.  He would obviously NOT be
> the target market/audience for the website Blair mentioned.  A
> designer's mission is to meet his client's goals.  They may be some
> suggestions and "gentle prodding" along the way, but ultimately it is
> the client that needs to be satisfied.
>
> So let's either cancel this thread or get it back on topic...
> otherwise it is a waste of everyone's time.

I disagree.

Designers and businesses need to be aware of the public's response to
technology and designs. It's data. And, it's not bashing Blair. A
designer or business may still decide that an application of Flash is
appropriate (which is what he said), but they may also digest the data
and decide to choose a design technology that works with a broader audience.

If you want to bring up more angles on the issue, I would argue that
many designers are either unaware of or have lost sight of accessibility
issues with regard to web pages. For example, see
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/dec2007/sb20071217_774630.htm

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-