[Hidden-tech] Laptop 'Maintenance'

Roger Williams roger at qux.com
Wed Jan 14 09:00:45 EST 2009

  > ... is whether there is a solvent spray that can safely we used on
  > keyboards to clean the contacts under the key?

You could safely use any of the _plastic-safe_ aerosol contact cleaners, such
as the Miller-Stephenson MS-738 (preferred) or MS-730 (if you've got a bit
more grunge in there), or Chemtronics Pow-R-Wash CZ.  Failing that, most
professional magnetic tape head cleaner products will be safe (but won't
dissolve the spilled soda so well!).

Of course, perhaps the best way to clean a keyboard -- if you can remove it
from the laptop -- is with warm water with dishwashing detergent, followed by
a _thorough_ drying.

  > [Battery] number 2 is so dead the calibration program fails when I try to
  > start it. Is there any hope for Battery Number 2?

Since it's a lithium ion battery, probably not.  You can't find any
aftermarket replacement packs for that machine?

--
Roger Williams <roger at qux.com>
Chief Technical Officer, Qux Corporation