[Hidden-tech] Laptop 'Maintenance'

DAVID F. FARKAS david at farkas.com
Tue Jan 13 18:03:55 EST 2009

Hey hardware mavens... can you help me out with this?

QUESTION 1:

I have a three year old Averetec 12-inch laptop. (Always mistaken for
a MAC because of the size.) The precursor of the NetBooks?

Several of the keys on the lower row, initially to the left end over
the PCMCIA port and CD-ROM, have gone dead or intermittent. Not a
problem for the function keys but became more of a problem when the
space bar, M, and N keys started balking.

I noticed that holding down the Fn key at the end of the bottom row
and hitting the recalcitrant key freed them up. So I've blow
compressed air under them as well as I can and they are behaving
somewhat better.

My question.... yes there is a question... is whether there is a
solvent spray that can safely we used on keyboards to clean the
contacts under the key? Spray with solvent. Jiggle all the keys.
Spray with air. Eh voila... all the keys work again?

Yes? No? Maybe so?

QUESTION 2:

The batteries on this unit only last 1.5 hours, so I have two of
them. Both died with a week of each other. I managed to run the
battery calibration program in the BIOS on one of them. It charges
and drains the batter several times. That one now seems to hold a
full charge, although I have not yet tested to see how long it will last.

Number 2 is so dead the calibration program fails when I try to start
it. Is there any hope for Battery Number 2? I saw a site online that
claims to install new cells into dead laptop batteries and the price
is less than a new OEM battery... which would have been on the shelf
for 3 years.

Anyone have any experience with getting a Lithium Ion battery rebuilt?

Thanx so much.
David

----------
  LOVE is the Renewable Resource
DAVID  FRANKLIN  FARKAS
www.HouseHealing.com
www.YourChocolateHeaven.com

  How can they say my life is not a success?  Have
  I not, for more than sixty years, got  enough to eat
  and escaped being eaten?          ~ Logan P. Smith

   No trees were destroyed by sending this message. However, a
   significant number of electrons were sorely inconvenienced