[Hidden-tech] Business stimulus for HT members ?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Dec 16 15:53:14 EST 2009

Town Websites wrote:
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> A simple way to boost micro-business for the state of MA - cut the LLC fee
> to say $100 for corporations with earnings less than $25,000.   Or apply the
> fee as $100 plus 1% of earnings capped at the current fee of $500, with the
> fee reduction claimed through your state income tax form.
>
> The fee structure was put in place when forms were done on paper.  They're
> not on paper any more, thus the state can reduce the high barrier to entry
> for small business entities by reducing the cost per entity, encouraging
> many more small business entities to incorporate.

Try doing it in New York.

More than 20 years ago I had a company set up. I don't recall the
technical details now. Hoogendyk Software Development, Inc. I still have
the seal.

In 1989 I liquidated everything I was doing (Coherent Graphics, Inc. was
where all the action was, with around $200K in equipment and with actual
employees), moved to Massachusetts, and found a traditional job. My
partner in Coherent Graphics kept that name & company for possible use.
Hoogendyk Software had never done anything. Zip. Zero.

Sometime around the mid to late 1990's, I got a notice from the State of
New York. They had seriously raised the base cost per year of
maintaining a corporation. They wanted back payments or they would erase
the corporation (or whatever their terminology was). I don't remember
now how much it was, but it may have been up towards $1000 per year. I
sent them a simple letter saying "please do so." I never heard back from
them. I couldn't believe that they could charge that much for a company
that had never done anything, never bought anything, never earned
anything. It was just a piece of paper that had been obtained at the
same time as Coherent Graphics. I think originally the Coherent Graphics
book keeper paid the fees for both.

There were many other aspects of trying to run a business in New York
that were a real education. The proverbial jungle.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator