[Hidden-tech] Business stimulus for HT members ?

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Tue Dec 15 09:47:23 EST 2009

On 12/15/2009 6:57 AM, Shel Horowitz wrote:
>    At 11:43 AM -0500 12/14/09, Rich wrote:
>> With all the discussion of business stimulus I thought I would pass
>> interesting items on as they pass my desk.
>> I am specifically interested to know what HT members are interested in.
>>
>> As with most of you, my business is not the type banks see any value in,
>> no inventory, just a bunch of (smart) people.
>> And that is exactly the point, I get asked by economic development
>> planners,
>> and the only answer I can give so far, is that part of their jobs is
>> to help us
>> determine how the state/fed/etc can help small business.
>>
>> What I have found is that all they do is keep defining small business
>> as bigger,
>> so it's easier for them to work the overhead.
>>
>> BTW, I don't think there is anyone in HT who is what is defined as
>> 'small business'
>> we are now defined as micro-business - small is $5-100Mill
>>
>> So a question to all of you - who is interested in discussing  how to get
>> all these agencies spending our money to put in back into HT type
>> businesses ?
>
> Great post, Rich. But let me play devil's advocate...

Actually I'd rather you (and the rest of HT) be positively creative.

Also, I am not necessarily saying HT members should get specific ARRA
grants,  although
for those interested in growth, there are plenty of projects that could
our skills in this region -- I might remind all that this area used to
have 1,000 of jobs
that are now gone - Greenfield had over 4,500 workers in Greenfield Tap
and Die.  This area has needed the kind of projects that ARRA is
sponsoring for
decades.  The fact it took a total failure of direction and leadership
in Washington, Wall Street and Detroit to lead to this is not my concern
for this discussion.

> Yes, we want to be counted as businesses, and yes, the trend to
> exclude us has gotten worse.
>
> But as a taxpayer, I want to see stimulus funds going to job creation,
> and going to businesses that are hitting a financial wall without
> help. Many of us H-T folk have little or no inventory, create few if
> any jobs, and have fairly minimal capital needs (upgrade the computer
> every few years). If we could tap into the pool of stimulus money for
> making our homes more energy-efficient, great. But the business
> stimulus pool should really go to those who are creating jobs. That of
> course could easily be companies well below 5MM, maybe even as low as
> 250K--which is still well above my class.
What we have in common is we have created businesses with little of the
overhead that industrial companies need for meaningful economic
contribution.
The majority of successful HT businesses bring in business from outside
the Pioneer Valley.
There is a lot we have to teach.

To add to this discussion, I have re-posted a number of economic reports
from the older web site, they are at:
http://www.hidden-tech.net/skills-report/reports/128-reports-and-resources.html

> I suspect my situation is fairly typical in our circle: I've been in
> business 28 years and have only created one part-time job (a steady
> independent contractor, to be accurate). I have no debt other than my
> home mortgage, have a few thousand dollars worth of inventory (books),
> and mostly create what wealth I create on the basis of my brainpower
> and writing/marketing skills.
First off you have created at least 2 jobs, if you count yourself - and
maybe more if you count family members who 'help out' -- In my case, as
well as the 2 dozen or so people I've hired or have been consultants on
my projects, both my son and daughter have been involved in businesses
in a  key area of responsibility -- either their own or others.

> I submit that people in my situation need reasonably priced creative
> marketing, not a bailout.
Now you are getting to the point I am making - we need to point the
various Gov't entities how they can be of help -- and to each other.
Please expand more and maybe one of the other HT members can help.

--
Rich Roth
CEO On-the-net

Bringing you complex online systems since the net was young
http://www.tnrglobal.com - Blog: http://www.rizbang.com
Helping move the world:  http://www.earththrives.com