[Hidden-tech] Monitors not staying on, and window shopping for a new monitor...

Merlin Calo mj_calo at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 15:26:10 EDT 2009

I have two viewsonic CRT Graphics Series G70fmb Flat Monitors..

For some reason the monitors are not staying on. The light for the power goes from yellow to an amber color.. Once in awhile the monitors will stay on, most of the time they do not work.

The computer has worked with other monitors, so I don't think the computer is the issue. Also I have tried plugging in just the monitor into a wall outlet, yet it still the monitors do not respond.

-Does anyone know of a shop that works on monitiors in the Boston area?
-Is this a problem worth fixing or are my monitors just on there way out? I have been told it would be cheaper or the same cost to just invest on a new monitor..
-What is the life on most monitors (these are about 7yrs old)?
-Does anyone pay for old monitors for parts?

Any advice on getting a monitor around the $200 range, with a good viewable screen, with webcam, will last a long time, ergonomic when it comes to connections (ie:usb, etc) and is compatible on both PC/Mac..

I was checking this monitor out from Dell which looks nice..
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=320-7641

The only real negative I came across was:
Cons - Not Mac
friendly. The webcam and mic does not work when connected to Macbook
Pro and there are no drivers for Mac. Dell should seriously consider
providing Mac support for their accessories.

Does anyone out there have an HD Flat panel monitor and what has there experiences been like.

Merlin Calo
www.coroflot.com/M3D