[Hidden-tech] Mac security question

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Aug 6 20:06:55 EDT 2009

At Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:55:37 -0400 Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu> wrote:

>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> Jeff Rutherford wrote:
> > I work on a MacBook Pro. Whenever I work at a cafe w/ a Wifi
> > connection, I can often see other computers on the network in Finder.
> >
> > What security settings do I need to implement on MY MacBook Pro, so
> > that no one can peruse my files when I'm using Wi-Fi?
>
> Make sure you are up-to-date on Software Updates (especially security
> patches when they are available).
>
> In System Preferences, Sharing: make sure everything is turned off.
> Those people you see have sharing turned on and are making their stuff
> available over the network by doing that.
>
> In System Preferences, Security, Firewall: make sure everything is
> closed off. You don't want any exceptions.
>
> I didn't see music sharing in System Preferences, so maybe that is
> independent in iTunes, Preferences, Sharing. I always turn all of that
> off (both sharing and look for shared libraries).

'Shared Libraries' per se have nothing to do with file sharing over the
network.  OTOH, shared libraries should only be in 'standard' places (eg
/usr/lib, /lib, and maybe /usr/local/lib).  Shared libraries elsewhere
(using under some application's bin dir, etc.).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933