[Hidden-tech] Mac security question

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Thu Aug 6 14:55:37 EDT 2009

Jeff Rutherford wrote:
> I work on a MacBook Pro. Whenever I work at a cafe w/ a Wifi
> connection, I can often see other computers on the network in Finder.
>
> What security settings do I need to implement on MY MacBook Pro, so
> that no one can peruse my files when I'm using Wi-Fi?

Make sure you are up-to-date on Software Updates (especially security
patches when they are available).

In System Preferences, Sharing: make sure everything is turned off.
Those people you see have sharing turned on and are making their stuff
available over the network by doing that.

In System Preferences, Security, Firewall: make sure everything is
closed off. You don't want any exceptions.

I didn't see music sharing in System Preferences, so maybe that is
independent in iTunes, Preferences, Sharing. I always turn all of that
off (both sharing and look for shared libraries).

If you are doing email, I would use secure connections. This gets a lot
more complicated, because different people are using different mail
servers and clients with different options and restrictions. Presumably,
a web interface with https ought to do it. If you are using a mail
server that allows direct smtp, imap and/or pop connections from your
roaming laptop, then I would hope they are set up so that you can use
secure versions/ports for those. But the specific configuration is up to
and depends on your ISP and/or system administrator for your mail server.

Although banking and commercial storefront sites operate over https, I
wouldn't use them in a public wireless setting. Just the remote chance
of advanced hacking tools doing man in the middle attacks on "secure"
connections is enough to give me the heebie jeebies. Presumably, any
such known vulnerabilities have been patched in Software Updates, but
there are always new things being discovered.

HTH

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-