[Hidden-tech] Email stalking...

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Apr 17 11:39:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 at 10:14, Nancy Mahoney wrote:
> I agree that you should not engage this person.  Keep in mind that
> there are e-mail programs that allow the sender to see if and exactly
> when an e-mail has been opened even if you have not received a receipt
> request.  Also, most e-mail programs allow you to block unwanted

Although an excellent warning, this is not strictly true.  There are
email construction techniques that allow the sender to _try_ to see if
and when you've opened the email.  They depend on inserting invisible
images (and/or similar cruft) into HTML formatted emails.  But if you
don't look at HTML based email and only look at text based email (the
way I do), then those techniques don't work.  (Some GUI mail clients
provide ways to block such trojan inclusions, but I don't know
how effective they are.)

This is one reason I don't accept HTML email, and continue to use
a text-based (non-GUI) email client.  Keeps me safe from email-born
browser-based exploits, too.

--
R. David Murray                 http://www.bitdance.com

PS: If anyone has read Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" you will
understand exactly why I stick to "dumb" protocols for email...