[Hidden-tech] App for reserving resources, signing up for work-shops, and tracking use/participation

Rich rich at on-the-net.com
Wed Apr 1 10:31:18 EDT 2009

The places I would look is the CMS extensions directories,
for Joomla: http://extensions.joomla.org/
Drupal: http://drupal.org/project/Modules

If those don't do what you want you might consider using a php framework,
we had good luck with both Symfony (a bit more complex) and Akelos (
quick and simple)
The key to using a framework quickly is called scafolding - which
automatically creates
 a CRUD (create, Retrieve, Update, Delete) page set based on the
database table.

Making a new application can take 15-30 min, somewhat longer to customize.
Of course, that is once you know about the framework -- figure more like
a day if you don't.

A few other notes:
1) Hooking to MS Access will be a challenge - import/export is easiest,
except for having to synchronize -- using ODBC takes some work,
once working does the trick - although is slow for heavy production use.

2) Ldap can be done just using Apache mod_ldap

As I see it, it's not really of the scale that needs a development partner,
at least not if you have a basic LAMP development skills in-house.

Rich

--
Rich Roth
CEO On-the-net

Bringing you complex online systems since the net was young
http://www.tnrglobal.com - http://www.on-the-net.com/rr/