[Hidden-tech] a question for HT futurists

Garth Shaneyfelt gshaneyfelt at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 20:45:20 EDT 2008

> > How about a job openings for people who know how to
> handle and/or train
> > a team of horses?  How much will a gallon of gas cost
> in 15 years? As a
>
> A local Wendell resident recently posted a message to a
> local mailing
> list seeking 'training' in the handling of a horse
> -- he recently
> aquired a horse-drawn carriage (I think one of the
> 'Amish' type of
> buggy).  So, this is not as far-fetched as it sounds...

Interesting indeed.  Change does not always equal Progress.

(anyone else read "A World Made by Hand" http://www.worldmadebyhand.com/)

If we indeed hit an energy, inflation, whatever crisis the ability to do stuff that directly impacts survival will be important (grow/raise food, build infrastructure-tools-mechanisms  "by hand", setup a water filtration/distribution system, etc...)

It seems that now (and in the future with even MORE people) we will continue to need people that are good at Governance.  Able to assimilate large quantities of information, delegate, LISTEN, learn, be fair, do community-region level stragetic thinking.

Teachers (re-framed perhaps as "guides") will continue to be incredibly important.  How do we bring out the best of the abilities of others?  Move people to their maximum potential as fully actualized human beings.  (so sure add "Cybernetics Implant Programmer" as well).

I'd like to imagine "Mead Maker" will still be around as well.  (after all there are bees almost everywhere, and folks do like their booze! :)

-Garth

http://www.greenriverambrosia.com