[Hidden-tech] Mac or PC?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Oct 29 18:01:08 EDT 2008

Dina Polizzi wrote:
> I'm a graphic designer and have been using Macs since the late 80's
> when they were developed. My latest Mac was a G4 Titanium Laptop,
> which I purchased about 6 years ago. I  spent the last 3 years doing
> marketing and events, with only side graphics jobs. Now that my
> graphics works has picked up again, I realized I have to buy a new
> laptop.
> My question:
> Is the Mac still superior to the PC in graphics, audio and video editing?
> I know the Adobe Pro suite and the Macromedia suite are cross
> platform. Many people are using PC's for audio and video editing. And
> everything for Mac is more expensive.
> I have to update soon, I'd love to hear some feedback.

Absolutely. Definitely. Mac.

Go visit the Apple store in the Holyoke mall, just to look around, poke
at them, and have someone talk to you. I took my daughter's 4 year old
iBook there 2 weeks ago because it was having trouble running. I thought
there might be something wrong with the hard disk -- either that it
might be failing or that it might have bad sectors in just the wrong
place. The guy at the Genius Bar pulled out a power cable and an
external disk drive and booted it from the external drive. He ran a
bunch of diagnostics on it, did some repairs, and then rebooted off the
internal drive. He called someone else over to check some other stuff.
Then he tested it for a while running streaming video, web, iTunes, and
some diagnostic tools all at once. It worked beautifully (and has
continued to.) After it was done, I asked how much I owed, and he said
that diagnostic work at the Genius Bar is free. Woohoo! I have never,
ever, experienced a computer store that comes within a league of the
Apple stores.

That's just a side story. But it adds to the good feeling.

I've had Macs exclusively as my personal desktop both at home and at
work (through 8 jobs) for 23 years. That is in spite of being
responsible over the years for managing PCs, Novell servers, WinNT
servers, Digital Unix, Solaris, OpenBSD, Linux and so on. At present
Apple is gaining market share, and their laptops are considered the best
in the industry. They just updated them this month. I bought my younger
daughter a black MacBook in late August. I suggested she wait, because I
expected updates, but she really wanted it before classes started. She
got it totally set up herself without ever asking me for help. When we
bought it, there were student rebates on the laptop and a printer. They
processed those for me, online, on the spot, and I got the checks within
a couple of weeks. Also far better than any other rebate experiences.

I'm also really glad I don't have to deal with zero day exploits such as
hit Microsoft last week. Emergency updates and a new worm out in the
wild exploiting peoples' PCs. By far the largest number of security
issues we have to deal with are with PCs. We've worked hard to keep our
servers secure and haven't had any compromises. We also have not seen
any Mac compromises. But PCs are a headache. There's always something to
worry about.

You'll be much happier staying with a Mac.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator