[Hidden-tech] Template Sites in general - GoodBarry in particular

Nancy Salwen nancy at salwen.net
Wed Nov 19 11:12:00 EST 2008

Hi!

I am website designer (not a developer) and I usually work with a
subcontractor to develop the sites I design, but I work a lot with
small businesses with very small budgets and am finding that some of
them can't afford a completely custom website.

So a new service I'm providing is to help them discover whether an
inexpensive template site could be right for them, and if so, to
guide them in choosing and setting up the an appropriate  template
site and then customizing it for them so it doesn't look like a
template site. This customization is not through HTML or any
programming language but only throught the CMS that the template
offers, working with fonts and colors and customized graphics to
upload using Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. I figure my service and
expertise can make their template site way better than if they just
did it themselves, and I just charge by the hour to do this work.

So here's my question: Does anybody know of Template site companies
that they highly recommend? Any that  "partner" with designers in
terms of discounts or commissions that are also conducive to ease of
use and good design (not necessary but could be useful!)? Any
template sites companies that I should particularly stay away from?

Also, has anyone heard of GoodBarry? They seem to do all of this and
have an excellent vibe/marketing pitch as well, but I was unable to
find any reviews of this company online. I'd love to hear from
someone who's worked with them or has heard stories.

Thanks so much!
Nancy

Nancy Salwen     nancy at salwen.net
Salwen Graphic Design