[Hidden-tech] blogging advice

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Tue Nov 11 07:37:55 EST 2008

At 12:46 PM -0500 11/10/08, Izzy Gesell wrote:
>    ** Be sure to fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

>I'm ready to enter the blogosphere and could use any guidance about
>pros/cons on different formats, approaches etc. For example, I understand
>I can have Wordpress as part of my site but Blogger is a stand alone. Is
>one approach better than the other? Goal is expanded name as expert/topic
>recognition, increased connections and traffic to my website.
>
>What am I unconsciously incompetent about in this area.
>
>Much appreciated,
>Izzy

There are a number of advantages of WordPress on your own site vs.
Blogger. First of all, if either company ever changes its business
model, you won't lose all your existing content. Second, if they get
bought out and all the URLs change, you won't be stuck. And third,
and this is of particular concern with the work that you do, you
won't ever run the risk that someone at the blogging company won't
like the politics of some post and shuts you down. (Yes, it has
happened). WordPress is also easier to use and much more powerful.

Make sure your blog is set up to automatically ping the major blog
search engines and especially Technorati, and to feed into your
social networking profiles, especially Facebook. And in the do as I
say, not as I do department, you'll get much better traction with
Google and appeal to advertisers  if you keep your focus narrow and
most of your posts on-topic. I am completely incapable of this; I
blog on whatever the hell I feel like, and describe my blog
<http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/> as "the
intersection of ethics, politics, media, marketing, and
sustainability" But I have a great time with it.

BTW, I've just released an e-book on social media, covering marketing
via blogs as well as Facebook, Twitter, and the rest of it. It's
included with all new direct orders of either Grassroots Marketing:
Getting Noticed in a Noisy World or Grassroots Marketing for Authors
and Publishers, or available separately at a nominal price.

Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html