[Hidden-tech] A Tricky Challenge…

Steven Solomon ssol at well.com
Mon Jun 9 10:45:00 EDT 2008

Folks,

I've got a challenge for the really geeky Mac pack-rats out there. I
just moved and ran across a long lost micro floppy with some
documents from roughly 9/90 to 9/95. They are likely created in
MacWrite, MacWrite II, and MacWrite Pro. The disc is double sided,
but not HDD, and drives that will read this ancient and intermediary
format are pretty rare. Somewhere in my piles of unpacked boxes are
the original applications discs, but I'm not sure I'll come up with
them any time soon.

So, what I seem to need is somebody with a really old Mac, likely
able to run OS8 or before, and an ancient microfloppy drive. With
that set of tools, I figure we can convert these files to RTF or
plain text. YES, Dancer Computers, and others no longer have the
tools. Most of the folks at these places are too young to even
remember MacWrite.

So, if you know anybody that can help with this problem, pass the
info along, or at least enjoy this stroll down memory lane to the
days when MacWrite was a revelation.

Thanks!

Steven Solomon
Writer, Inventor, Near Futurist
ssol at interactiveguild.com
http://www.interactiveguild.com
413.537.4536

In The Maze of a Networked World, We Help You See Around Corners.