[Hidden-tech] All-purpose projector recommendations?

Christofer deHahn dehahn at charter.net
Sun Jun 1 16:55:56 EDT 2008

>Paul (or anyone):  Optoma describes Paul's EP721 as capable of 720p and
1080i -- so, High-Def territory -- and with a >"DVI w/HDCP" input (and also
S-video, but apparently no component or composite).  Anticipating the days
when we've >all moved up to Blu-Ray for video content, with HDMI as the
standard output from a Blu-Ray player (?), can anyone >speak to the question
as to whether a projector like the EP721 with DVI but no HDMI input can
handle that HDMI >output with a simple "HDMI to DVI" adapter, or whether
something is lost in that translation?

There is nothing lost via an HDMI to DVI adapter in the video realm. What is
lost is the audio from the HDMI as DVI is video only. If you buy a projector
with DVI and not HDMI, make sure the DVI input has HDCP or you will have
trouble with digital TV settop boxes and Blu-Ray players.

>And is the EP721 (or similar) capable of decent video presentation or, as
at least some of the home theater sales >boutiques would have us believe,
are projectors for DVD and projectors for movies two different breeds?

The EP721 has a native resolution of 800x600 (SVGA). It is capable of
syncing to an HDTV 720p or 1080i signal, but it cannot reproduce an HDTV
picture because the resolution of the display device is not capable of HDTV
resolution. That doesn't mean that it cannot produce a good looking TV
picture, just that it cannot produce a true HDTV picture. What a projector
like this does is scale the HDTV signal down to the native resolution of the
display. Anytime this is done, you lose picture quality. The absolute best
situation is when the native resolution of the display is the same as the
native resolution of the signal.

The EP721 is a business class projector meant to be used mainly with
computers, although it is capable of syncing to a video signal and producing
a picture of varying quality depending on the input.