[Hidden-tech] Comcast Phone Service

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Jul 16 08:14:48 EDT 2008

David Ruderman wrote:
> Of course, I just received my latest Comcast bill.
> Their introductory offers are only good for a year, so it just went up $15
> for me.
> Instead of $69 bundled for internet and voice, it is now $43 + $44
> unbundled.
> Drat!

I've had Earthlink TrueVoice for a couple of years. Still $19 (would be
less if I didn't get paper bills and pay by check). I've had Earthlink
cable for several years. It all runs over Comcast, but Earthlink deals
with them, I don't. And, of course, when you have VoIP you get lots of
capabilities that the 20th century wired phone doesn't get. Control your
phone service settings remotely via the web -- that is handle call
forwarding, call blocking, setting your answering message, retrieving
messages, seeing your call history, etc. You can also get your messages
over your phone and/or have it sent to yourself by email and listen on
your computer. So I get important messages during the day, before I get
home in the evening. My cable modem and VoIP box are on battery backup,
and my 20th century wired phone plugs into the VoIP box and gets its
power from there.

Unfortunately, I think TrueVoice got discontinued for new customers so
Earthlink could focus on other services. So I'm a legacy customer.
Anyway, I discontinued Verizon way back when. Have had virtually no
problems. It has not been 99.999% like Ma Bell, but it's probably been
99%. Oh, and you do get 911 service.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator