[Hidden-tech] Verizon vs. Comcast

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Mon Jan 28 21:49:26 EST 2008

> You should be aware: Crocker has to 'rent' the copper connected to
> your
> house from the local telephone monopoly, which is Verizon. So even
> though you are using Crocker's DSL, the wires connecting to your house
> are owned by Verizon.

While that is true,  we do wholesale our DSL from Verizon.  Verizon
owns the copper to your house and the DSLAM in the CO.  They aggregate
our customers onto our ATM circuit in Springfield.  We terminate the
PPPoE sessions and provide IP address & bandwidth on our equipment in
Springfield.  I'll never own copper on the street, it doesn't make
sense for anyone financially to replicate what Verizon has built.
That is why Verizon has a natural monopoly and also why they are
regulated and forced to provide competitive access to their network
with The Telecommunications Act of 1996.

I'm a  CLEC,  I have equipment inside the Verizon COs.  I'm starting
to deploy my own DSLAMs.

If everyone in Western MA that uses Verizon Online switched to Crocker
DSL  we would be able to start running fiber on the polls.  I would
also be a very busy man :)

For the hidden geek in all of us:

Currently we have a DS-3 ATM circuit to Verizon (45mbps) which is
getting pretty full during prime time (M-F 10a-4p).   The DS-3
connects to a Redback SMS 1800 router

I have a shiny new Redback SE-400 in Springfield and an OC-3 on order
with Verizon (155mbps).  By the end of February I should have
everything cross connected and switched over.

As far as Residential VoIP goes,  I have everything in place except a
good DSL modem + VoIP ATA.  I have a couple in the mail and if it
works I'll be able to roll out ResiDSL + ResiVoIP by summer time.  You
would use a normal phone,  we would install the modem in your house.
It comes with a battery so your phone will continue to work if you
lose power.

BTW,    I need to hire a unix geek,  If you live, eat and breath RHEL
& Solaris send me an e-mail.

-Matt

--
Matthew S. Crocker