[Hidden-tech] Huge need for funding of biz development - how you can help

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Thu Jan 24 12:56:59 EST 2008

Hi all,

Enclosed is a press release I backed financially that had the support
of the Association of Small Business Development Centers -- the
organization that funds our buddies at the Western Mass SBDC down in
Springfield, where many of us are clients and also have been
sponsored as consultants and speakers.

When you read what Don Wilson, President/CEO has to say about the
ASBDC's treatment over the last seven years, and its impact on all of
us, I'm sure you'll agree this is an issue that needs addressing. You
can do a lot of things, mainly reach out to our congressional
delegation in western Mass to lobby for more funding, and also reach
out to congressional folk in your home region as most of us came from
somewhere else.

You can also pass this release onto any media folk you know. It's
going out to key journalists covering the presidential campaign, the
campaigns' press staff and a number of hand-selected journalists in
this region and nationally. But those of us involved in this effort.
If you want to help out, reach me at az at a-zinternational.com.

best,

Amy Zuckerman

Hidden-Tech Founder

VIRTUAL WORKFORCE AND CAREER EXPERTS URGE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES TO
FOCUS ON BOOMER CAREER RETIREMENT ISSUES

Warn of an "Avalanche of Need" that Could Sweep the U.S. For
Financially Strapped Boomers

Burke, Va.  - Jan. 24, 2008  -- With the U.S. and global economy
gyrating, national experts in career transition and the virtual,
home-based workplace are urging all presidential candidates to place
the needs of retiring boomers among their top priorities,
particularly in regard to career retraining, small-business
development and management support where there is evidence of growing
demand for assistance.

Don Wilson, president and CEO of the Association of Small Business
Development Center Network (ASBDC), representing 1,000 service
centers nationwide that provide no-cost consulting and low-cost
training to half a million small businesses annually, says he is
grateful for this year's $10 million increase to ASBDC's budget.
However, he points out that the amount is a drop in the bucket
compared to demand his centers are starting to experience from
retiring boomers seeking help starting or growing small enterprises
to augment their incomes during retirement.

"The candidates are talking about education and here we are offering
education for businesses," said Wilson, adding that the ASBDC was
level-funded from 2000 until 2007. Despite the recent budget
increase, he said in today's dollars ASBDC needs at least $115
million "to have the same buying power as we did in 2001. We actually
served fewer counseling clients at a national level in 2006 (no
numbers were available for 2007), which was down from 2005," and this
is despite the fact that the first wave of boomers hit retirement age in 2007.

"For the past five or six years, we've been seeing an increasing
number of older Americans coming in. As they reach retirement age,
they want part-time work, or they say they want to start a home-based
virtual business, a small manufacturing, or retail brick and mortar
business," explained Wilson. Many have broad experience or great
skill sets, "but need business management knowledge," he said, adding
that "this does not come automatically."

By virtual business, Wilson is referring to a small business that
relies on advanced technology to operate, whether from a home, a
rental office or elsewhere.

Georgianna Parkin, vice-chair of ASBDC's board of directors and state
director for the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center
(SBDC), is also witnessing "a continual increase each year among
boomers who want to start a business. Some expand from hobbies, some
for social reasons and others due to a perceived need in the market."

When asked if SBDC funding was adequate to meet projected boomer
career or business counseling needs nationally, Parkin said
"absolutely not." She pointed out that it was "critical to keep these
boomers employed and active contributors to the economic base.
Otherwise, we could have a population in debt, as well as ignoring
the tremendous talent this population possesses."

Those serving boomers on websites and in private practices are
equally concerned, particularly given the many boomers who are
purported to be in debt. Amy Zuckerman, an award-winning author and
consultant based in Amherst, Mass. who was recently profiled on
CNN.com (12/17/07), warns candidates of an "avalanche of boomer need"
that is about to sweep the country. Through the many blogs and groups
she manages on boomer social networking sites such as EONS.com,
Multiply, and TeeBeeDee.com, she is encountering many older boomers
struggling to survive on Social Security and dwindling revenue.

"With boomers starting to retire in 2007 and many in debt, I am
deeply concerned about the future. While the media and candidates are
focusing a great deal on health care, which is positive, they are
missing the enormous need for career retraining, as well assistance
to the millions of boomers who are telling pollsters they intend to
start their own businesses during retirement," said Zuckerman who
also writes the blog: "Living a Virtual American Dream"
(http//:www.virtualdream.amyz-blogspot.com).

She points to new data from a pilot Virtual Business and Careers
survey currently housed on her EONS.com "Building a Virtual Company"
group page (URL below). Preliminary findings, based on a sampling of
EONS members, indicate that 77 percent of EONS respondents plan to
operate a small, home-based business during their retirement years.
(The survey can be found at http://www.eons.com/survey/welcome/10.)

Although numbers from mid-December to the first week in January were
based on a sample of only 170, they correlate with earlier polls by
Yahoo.com and MassInc's Commonwealth Magazine, as well as anecdotal
reporting from Newsweek's "Boomer Files." All of these regional and
national sources have indicated that a majority of boomers - between
60 and 75 percent - plan to run home-based, virtual companies of
various types when they are in retirement.

"The problem for many boomers, particularly those who have always
worked for an employer, is that they don't have a clue about how to
make money outside of a full-time job," said Zuckerman, who was the
Small Business Administration's 2005 Home-Based Business Champion for
New England and Massachusetts. "They don't know how to manage their
time, manage technology, or market themselves. And many are falling
prey to scam artists promising them a solid income from web-based schemes."

Zuckerman says she is pleased to see a new bill - The Parents' Tax
Relief Act of 2007 - including tax incentives for those working at
home. However, she points out that polls she has conducted with the
members of Hidden-Tech (www.hidden-tech.net), an organization she
founded in 2002, and from interviews nationwide, indicate that many
boomers and others are operating virtual enterprises outside the
home. "I'm concerned that that this bill will not assist many in the
burgeoning virtual economy who do not operate strictly from their
homes," she explained.

"The government," Zuckerman said, "needs to drastically beef up
funding for boomer retraining through the ASBDC's small business
development centers, as well as the SCORE program. And Congress needs
to redraft the U.S. Census to gather data on the virtual economy, as
a whole, and not focus solely on home-based companies."

Wendy Spiegel, founder of GENPLUS (tm) - Reinventing 50 Plus
(www.genplususa.com) in the Los Angeles area, cautions that "over the
past several years of receiving e-mails from mature workers desperate
for employment, it is clear that we are still five years or more away
from large numbers of employers being truly willing to hire-or
recruit for-a 50 plusser." Spiegel, who authors the popular Gen Plus
blog (http://genplus.blogspot.com) and, like Zuckerman, has been an
expert blogger on EONS.com, collaborated with Zuckerman in developing
the survey that appears on the EONS.com site.

She believes that "as a result of the employment challenges and lack
of financial security facing the mature worker, more and more
jobseekers are going to have to find alternative ways to make a
living. Multi-channel careering is going to become the new boomer
trend, and that includes a significant increase in virtual industry,
flex jobs, telecommuting, and virtual contact center positions."

On the flip side of the job coin, businesses will be "facing a
massive talent shortage as all these boomers move out of full-time
employment," said Charlie Grantham, co-founder of Work Design
Collaborative and the Future of Work program with bases in California
and Prescott, Ariz. "Companies will have to turn to the boomers as a
part-time labor force," he said, "but the boomers won't be willing to
commute to central-city corporate offices. We're going to have to
learn how to manage a widely distributed work force whose members
have a very different set of values and expectations about how, when,
and where they work."

"We need a ton of new public policies to deal with this massive
transformation in the workforce," argued Jim Ware, co-founder with
Grantham of the Work Design Collaborative and the Future of Work
program. "Work force development programs will have to include
post-65ers, and we should be rethinking Social Security, health care,
and 401K programs to be sure they meet the needs of both employers
and all these 'free-agent' seniors," he says.