[Hidden-tech] Be aware of "Front-running" by Network Solutions

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Mon Feb 25 21:52:14 EST 2008

>Network Solutions has started to game the domain registration system
>through a tactic that is being called "front-running".  If you query
>for a domain on their site, but don't purchase it, they will
>register it in their Name for a period of four days.
>During that period you will be unable to register the domain at any
>other registrar.  After that period the domain reverts back to
>public availability and Network Solutions paid nothing to do so
>based on the current policy that they are gaming that relates to
>that grace period.

Sheesh! why am I not surprised?

I have long advised my clients not to start with checking
availability, but typing the URL into a browser bar and seeing if it
loads. I figure if it doesn't load twice at least one day apart, it's
probably available, and nobody gets tipped off to game it. Then you
make the official query only when you're ready to buy (and sometimes
it is taken but undeveloped, but rarely).
Shel Horowitz - 413-586-2388/800-683-WORD shel at frugalfun.com
-->Join the Business Ethics Pledge - Ten Years to Change the World,
One Signature at a Time  (please tell your friends)
<http://www.business-ethics-pledge.org>
Marketing consulting * copywriting * publishing assistance * speaking
How to market ethically/effectively: http://www.frugalmarketing.com
Ethics Blog:  http://www.principledprofit.com/good-business-blog/
Books: http://www.frugalmarketing.com/shop.html