[Hidden-tech] on freelance vs entrepreneurship

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Mon Feb 18 09:12:40 EST 2008

Thanks to Jonathon for the post on the NPR show, which I missed.

My one thought is that many of us don't consider ourselves
freelancers. We're virtual company entrepreneurs with a number of
clients (some corporate, no doubt).

I, for one, don't want corporate benefits because I don't want to be
tied down to one client. That puts me back in the "employee" trap I
was in before starting my own business. Once a company gives you
benefits, they feel they can own you and will often dump far more
demands on you than they are paying for.

The way around the benefit issue -- which is undoubtedly going to be
hacked away for full-time employees, anyway -- is to have enough
business to pay your own way. The IRS provides tax breaks for small
companies, as you all know.

Anyway, very provocative and something to discuss if you want to as I
write and talk about this subject a lot, nowadays. If you have
thoughts to share for my blogs, you can reach me directly at
az at a-zinternational.com.

best,

Amy Zuckerman
HT Founder