[Hidden-tech] Pioneer Valley Software Development Process SurveyResults

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:32:59 EST 2008

Edbride-PR wrote:
> Understood, and I suspect that many of these are self-employed, so the
> survey might not have been directed to them. That is, one of the criteria
> for completing the survey was the employment of three or more developers in
> the shop; that's why I wondered about the makeup of HT.

Just as points of reference -- when I worked at Specular in Amherst,
there were maybe 6 or 8 full time programmers, but the overall
infrastructure of a commercial software company with mature products in
the consumer and professional market meant that the company had about 50
employees.

Prior to that, when I worked at Laserpoint Software in Ludlow, the
staffing statistics were somewhat similar, although their product
configuration was quite different. They sold CAD systems and sizable
hardware that ran with them (laser die cutters, large bed plotters and
sample makers for the consumer product packaging industry).

So, a commercial software company with at least 3 real full time
programmers would be a company of possibly 10 to 20 employees, depending
on what they were doing. It could also be a smaller company that had a
more limited or less mature market. But, as soon as you start adding in
accountants, book keepers, managers, receptionist, shipping staff,
technical support, product testing, marketing, . . . you get the point.
It's not exactly "Hidden Tech" at that point.

But then there's the whole spectrum of smaller stuff. I'm full time
employed, but I'm also looking toward being able to support myself in
retirement as well as augmenting my income now. So I do part time
consulting with a software company in California that's involved in
commercial support for open source software. Maybe that will grow over
time. Maybe it will lead to other things. But it sort of fits the
smallest scale of the "Hidden Tech". It's extra income working out of my
home over a broadband connection with my own computers.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center