[Hidden-tech] save the date for Valleywood II!!

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Fri Feb 1 10:38:02 EST 2008

Hi all,

Save March 8 for the kick off of  VALLEYWOOD II
-- A Celebration of the Digital Arts in the
Pioneer Valley. Here's the promo below.

Many of you remember Valley Goes to Hollywood,
which was my favorite of all the HT programs I
developed with our PR/Programming committee. In
fact, it was staged on my 50th birthday party.

This program is not a HT program, but will
involve many members down the line in the digital
arts (also called "new media"). I will ask the
board if they want to co-sponsor, but for now I
wanted you all to save the date as seating is
limited at the Jones Library in Amherst.

Hope to see many of you!

Amy Zuckerman
Hidden-Tech Founder

             The Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce
and Reader to Reader Inc., with support from A –
Z International Associates, is announcing
VALLEYWOOD II – A Celebration of the Digital Arts in the Pioneer Valley.
             The opening program features John
Katzenbach, Amherst resident and the acclaimed
author of numerous books that have been turned
into film, including Just Cause and Hart’s War.
Katzenbach’s talk, entitled “THE GOOD, THE BAD
AND THE UGLY – Why I Love Hollywood and Why I
Hate Hollywood,” is scheduled from 2 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 8.
             VALLEYWOOD II is planned as an
ongoing series of afternoon weekend lectures by
regional writers, screenwriters, film-makers,
animators, special effects, sound and others who
are developing content for Hollywood, television
and a wide range of mobile devices – all of whom
fit into what is commonly called the “digital economy” or “new media.”
             The aim is to schedule one,
mid-afternoon lecture per month during the school
year on either a Saturday or Sunday in the lower
level large meeting room of the Jones Library, or
other locations in Amherst to be announced.
  Other speakers this spring include Dan Giat of
Pelham (Saturday, April 12), author of Path to
War, which was nominated for an Emmy Award in
2002 after airing on HBO. David Shepherd
(Saturday, May 10), is an improv theater and
video master, founder of Compass (the granddaddy
of “Saturday Night Live”) and Group Creativity,
as well as the author of That Movie in Your Head.
             Katzenbach, who was once a criminal
court reporter for The Miami Herald and Miami
News has been published in a wide number of
newspapers. Previous novels include In the Heat
of the Summer, adapted for the screen as The Mean
Season, and The Shadow Man. He is also author of
the New York Times bestseller The Traveler, as
well as Day of Reckoning. Filming of the script
he wrote based on The Madman's Tale is schedule to start filming this spring.
             “Having one’s work adapted for film
is a bittersweet affair. There are many positives
and many negatives, and I’ll talk about both. The
one thing you learn is why you love Hollywood and
why you hate it. But from the novelist’s point of
view it’s a terrific adventure,” Katzenbach said..
             Admission at the door is $10 for the
general public; $8 for Chamber members. Seating
is first come, first serve. No food will be
served, but the audience is welcome to bring snacks.