[Hidden-tech] Pioneer Valley Software Development Process SurveyResults

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Feb 12 15:18:55 EST 2008

At Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:15:37 -0500 "Edbride-PR" <Ed at edbride-pr.com> wrote:

>    ** The author of this post was a Good Dobee.
>    ** You too can help the group
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.
>

> That's suprising. I wonder whether the HT demographics imply a lot of
> "development shops" in the Pioneer Valley; or are most members
> considered users/provideres of technology (and not developers per-se)?
> Perhaps the development shops with HT members are "solopreneurs." It
> almost stands to reason that most HT members are small, independent
> businesses.

There seem to be a lot of web designers and 'web programmers' (php /
AJAX / Web 2.0).  In many ways, 'web programmers' are not really
'software developers' in the traditional sense -- they are creating web
sites / web content via specialized programming languages rather than
writing (standalone) application programs and such and are not
delivering 'software' itself, but are delivering *dynamic* 'web sites'
and 'web content'.  And many of the rest are various sorts of 'content
providers' (video, blogging, etc.) or various sorts of service
providers of one sort or another (ISPs, telecomm, IT support services,
etc.).  Some of us do several things -- *I* do contract programming (when I
can), work on open source projects, provide web hosting, and do Linux
System Admin.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration