using a smartphone as laptop modem - Re: [Hidden-tech] Re: unlocking cell phones - how's Sprint for 3G 'roundthese parts?

rdmurray at bitdance.com rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Dec 30 14:57:57 EST 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 at 11:37, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:
> From my understanding the 'unlimited' data plan on cell phones is to cover =
> data from the cell phone itself. Data through the cell phone to a laptop is=
>  not part of the plan and will be billed additional charges.=20

Using the cell phone as a modem replacement is usually referred to
as 'tethered' mode, so look for that in the pricing plans.  And yes,
the cell phone companies do seem to want to charge you more for that.
Which means they are loosing money on me, since I would only ever use
that very infrequently, such that it isn't worth the cost to me to buy
such a plan.  But if they offered "occasional tethered use" at a small
extra cost, that _would_ be worth it...

I've always wondered how they would know where the data was coming from,
though.  I suppose the cell phone must tell them.  Back in the days when
I had Sprint's early data service, I don't think the phones were smart
enough to do that.

Alternatively you can buy modem cards (PCMCIA, probably USB though I
haven't looked) with a whole separate data plan for the card, and that
is specifically for laptop connectivity.  Also not cheap, but if you
were using it every day for business it would probably be worth it.

--RDM