[Hidden-tech] unlocking cell phones - how's Sprint for 3G 'round these parts?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Thu Dec 18 13:17:12 EST 2008

If you want to be socially conscious, go with Credo (used to be Working
Assets Wireless). They use the sprint network. They currently have a
deal where you can get a Solio solar recharger along with a phone with a
2 year contract. We have used them for years, and everyone in my family
has their own cell phone line. Every year you can participate in the
voting to determine what causes profits get contributed to.

Nobody has total coverage, but I've been happy with ours. Ours drops off
when we go down the hill south of the main shopping areas of
Northampton. Picks back up if we are high in the building or get back up
on the main drag. I think the towers are probably on north King Street.
I actually got coverage once on a southwest facing slope of a mountain
along the N.H. border of Maine. We were coming over the top after a
couple of days of backpacking, dead tired, and decided to try and call
our favorite B&B to see if they had a room available. It worked.
Leverette is sort of like that. You have to be on the right bend of the
road for any cell phone to work.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-