[Hidden-tech] To keep records or not to keep records...

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Wed Dec 17 07:51:36 EST 2008

What you keep has a lot to with what you do. Will there ever be a liability
isssue? For you or the client?

Then there is the issue of repeat business. In my case (developing
electronic circuits) there is always the possiblity of reuse. Since I don't
do digital circuits, change is not all that rapid, so I can reuse part of a
circuit in another project. Saves time for a client and I look good.

I, too, hate all that filing. My method has been to start a file at project
start, clean it out of junk after the end of the project. I also save all
computer generated files on individual Zip drives, which I chuck into the
file. That has been to good for some time now. I think I'll have to change
to a USB stick / client soon.

On the IRS side, I believe the rule is three years, but that's not three
calendar years, it is more because of the way the IRS counts years. I hear
five is wise.

-----
Harmed trees...In New Brunswick, Canada there is a power plant that burns
"forest fibre." There that is 100% trees. That plant is on the grid, the
same grid we are on.

Jim U.

jim at nationalwireless.com