[Hidden-tech] An Idea about Email

htcontact at town-websites.com htcontact at town-websites.com
Mon Aug 25 13:48:58 EDT 2008

I think the spam problem can be best attacked on ths technical side.

The protocols for email were established long before anyone imagined SPAM
would become such a problem.  There have been a patchwork of afterthought
spam interventions, by ISPs, by email services, and at the end user's PC,
but email by and large continues to use a patchwork on top of old protocols
not suited to the task.  I haven't ever really looked at the protocols,
certainly not recently, but I think a starting point should be something
like a real identity registration that can be verified, something like DNS
registration, so you could tell the true source of email without having to
use heuristics to guess at the identity or what the content is.

Even venturing at an design gets complicated enough to require a task force
and years of discussions, never mind implementation.  But I think a better
technology could make it easier to weed out spammers - through legal means
or simpler, more accurate screening; while also having a lighter impact on
small organizations and business that need reliable ability to contact
their clients than the current patchwork.

Charlie Heath
Town Websites