[Hidden-tech] Attack dog lawyer who works on contingency?

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Wed Apr 30 13:21:52 EDT 2008

ussailis at shaysnet.com wrote:
> It sounds like something in the circuit board failed. A few years ago there
> was a rash of bad electrolytic capacitors that did just that. Including the
> 'acrid smoke.' It is not actually smoke, but sure looks like it. Following
> the capacitor's rapid demise, the rest of the power supply can also fail.
> This can be 'explosive.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
http://www.tmworld.com/article/CA500057.html
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/may06/3423

This has been a widespread problem. Even hit my own iMac.

The question is whether the manufacturer is aware of it and taking
proper actions to correct the situation. Apple has put out recalls, and
replaced the motherboard on my iMac at no cost to me (this was a couple
of years ago, not current models). We had a number of PCs in our
department at work that had the same problem.

> I urge you to contact the CPSC and Consumers Union. Others could get hurt.
> And, since a shredder is usually associated with shredded paper (quality,
> rapid burning, fuel) there could be a serious fire as well.
>
> A product recall may be in order. I hope that the manufacturer got your
> failed unit so he can do a proper investigation.
>

> Jim Ussailis
> jim at nationalwireless.com

Chris Hoogendyk

-