[Hidden-tech] Marketing thoughts

Sheldon Snodgrass sheldon at steadysales.com
Thu Apr 24 13:35:32 EDT 2008

Hi Charles,

Without the benefit of a diagnostic interview to discover what is and is not
in place at this mystery tech company, it's darn near impossible to
prescribe anything.  For example: Who are the ideal buyers, (MARKET)? Why
should they buy it, (MESSAGE)? What's the "best and fastest" way to reach
them, (MEDIA)?   Ideas are easy.  The hard part is picking one or two, maybe
three, and executing.

Despite knowing nothing about your client, as a sales coach, I can offer two
observations:

First, unless this is a commodity (or commoditize-able), item the desire for
"wide spread exposure" is the opposite of what's needed to move "as quickly
as possible".  A tight focus on a narrow market niche is the better way to
"move quickly."

Second, the fastest way to any sale is by direct contact with a decision
maker.  Generally, the more expensive or complex the product is, the higher
up the chain of command must you go, and the longer will it take.  "BLOGS
and websites" as you say are good mechanisms for "exposure", as are many
other MARCOM initiatives such as PR, advertising and direct mail, but
exposure doesn't close a sale,  trust does.  And trust takes time. The best
way to speed the process is by direct connection and thoughtful follow up.

"Exposure" may help grease the skids, it may drive inquiries.  Indeed
exposure to the right eyeballs with the right massage is crucial. But in my
experience the fastest way to a sale isn't to wait for people to contact
you, but rather to reach out to them.  This is sales.

One more thing: an emphasis on speed often hamstrings thoughtful decision
making.  Covey said it best: "One hour of planning is worth ten in
execution."

That's my two cents.  Feel free to contact me off-list if you'd like to bat
this around a bit more.  Good luck.

J. Sheldon Snodgrass, MBA

http://www.steadysales.com

More Sales. More Money. Less Worry