[Hidden-tech] Anti-spam help SUMMARY of suggestions and preliminary results

andrew bellak andrew at stakeholdersinc.com
Fri Apr 18 07:49:51 EDT 2008

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  Let me summarize the
feedback I received below.

Switch to Mac, it may get less spam

Switch e-mail client interface to Mozilla mail (Thunderbird), it probably
will reduce spam.  I've considered this in the past but thought the hassle
of importing Outlook into Thunderbird was greater than what I chose to try
first.

Switch domain hosts or urge current host to really use the mail server tools
like Spam Assassin, etc better.

Switch e-mail addresses, that is, ditch the current and get new; or
similarly, use 'throw away' addresses AND be very careful with where one
uses addresses. i.e. - use personal/business addresses for friends &
colleagues, and use web mail addresses for listservs/web sites, etc.

Use anti-spam software - 2 people liked Cloudmark and 1 liked open source
Spam Bayes

And the one I decided to try first is 'scrub' mail through a web mail
account like Yahoo, Hotmail, or Gmail.  I have a Yahoo account but it's not
premium and so doesn't allow forwarding.

Therefore, I opened a gmail account and now forward mail to gmail and then
get this mail via Outlook.  In essence, I send directly from my addresses
but I receive mail through the gmail scrubber.  Preliminary results are that
I received 6 spam this morning versus 150-200 yesterday.

This has not been totally seamless as I am still prompted by Outlook for a
password for 1 account which I'm still wrestling with.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Bellak

Andrew at stakeholdersinc.com