[Hidden-tech] WMECO vs Dominion

Andy Klapper andytk at charter.net
Wed Oct 31 16:37:35 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
bounces at lists.hidden-tech.net] On Behalf Of Jeremy Dunn
> Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:38 PM
> To: B. Melville; hidden-discuss at lists.hidden-tech.net
> Subject: Re: [Hidden-tech] WMECO vs Dominion

> We switched several years ago, but switched back.  There are no hidden
fees,
> and it really is cheaper.  Our reason for returning to, and staying with
> WMECO is they have a lower proportion of Nuclear in their generation mix.
> This information is available on your WMECO bill and Dominion website.

> The last time I looked (a month or two ago when we got yet another offer
> from Dominion):

> WMECO 33% Nuclear, 39% Gas, 14% coal, 8% oil, 6% other
> Dominion 64% Nuclear, 18% Gas, 8% Coal, 2% oil, 3% hydro, 5% other

> Basically I think Dominion owns one or more nuclear power plants in the
> northeast, which are cheaper to operate than fossil-fuel plants. But there

> is that persistent problem of what to do with nuclear waste.  Nobody wants

> it, and it lasts ~ 10,000 years.

> - Jeremy

It would appear the Dominion is much better from a global warming standpoint
(8% vs. 14% coal, 2% vs. 8% oil).

So I guess it's a matter of which problem you want to deal with, the
immediate, CO2 and global warming issue, or the admittedly very long term
issue of nuclear waste storage.

And yes, conversation, solar, wind, hydro, tidal, geothermal, bio fuels,
reclaimed bio fuels,  etc. don't force you to make this choice, but don't
appear to be part of the choice between these two vendors.

Andy.