[Hidden-tech] parallels / bootcamp question

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Tue Oct 30 16:33:53 EDT 2007

Tom / Reelife Productions wrote:
> Hello fellow hidden techers:
>
> Hoping someone can help clarify how parallels, bootcamp (and other
> similar applications) work.  Do they allow someone to use a single
> PC-only application without actually installing windows on their
> mac...or do you have to go through whole process if installing Windows
> on a partition of the mac hard-drive (or something like that?)...just
> to use a single PC only application.

Unfortunately, you need the whole enchilada.

Windows applications need access to the libraries and APIs that come
with the Windows intall. They won't run in a vacuum. So, you have to set
up parallels (our preference), install Windows XP (or some other
flavor), and then install the application within Windows. Of course, you
will need the Windows license.

Of course, if you are brave and want to dive in to roll your own
technology, you could install linux with wine (which implements the
Windows APIs in linux) and try installing the application there. Then
you only need the application license. But I don't know anyone who
pushes this approach much.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator