[Hidden-tech] Anyone making standalone desktop applications to work with web based applications ?

Daniel Fried dan at creativeconstructs.com
Thu Oct 11 13:45:32 EDT 2007

Rich,

I've been hearing good things about the beta too, but telling a client to
fund a solution based on beta software is another thing.

I always believe in making the solution fit the need.  Flash could do
several things for you that HTML/JS would make more difficult, depending on
how pretty you want your timer app to be, Flash is still the better tool for
animation.

My general guidelines say that if the application is mainly form based, use
HTML, if it's mainly animation/media based, use Flash.

The other neat thing about Flash (although I don't think it applies in this
case) is that it can support an open socket which will allow a server to
push information back down to the client.

There are some third party tools that create Linux Projectors as well
(Windows and Mac can be built from Flash on either platform).

That being said, if you're doing this yourself or a client doesn't care
about beta software, I would agree on going with AIR which would allow you
to use HTML/JS, Flash or both together in a pretty painless way.

-Dan